PRESERVATION MEAT COLLECTIVE is different from the other meat companies you work with. We operate more like a foraging company than a big box meat retailer. 95% of the animals we purchase are ENTIRE animals, not just primals. We adhere to and practice whole-animal butchery through decade-long relationships we have with farms, growers, and processors in the Pacific Northwest.
Whole animal butchery offers many sustainable advantages compared to conventional meat processing. These advantages align with principles of sustainability, environmental responsibility, and ethical considerations.
THE SALES AND DISTRIBUTION OF WHOLE ANIMAL BUTCHERY IS NOT EASY, SOME OF THE CHALLENGES ARE:
Limited Product Variety: Whole animal butchery typically offers a limited selection of cuts compared to traditional meat companies. This can be a challenge when a customer would like whole ribeyes on a weekly basis. A thousand-pound beef carcass has two whole ribeyes which represent 7-8% of the total weight. Finding a home for the remaining 92% of the carcasses can be a fun challenge.
Seasonal Availability: The availability of certain cuts may be seasonal, depending on the time of year. This can lead to fluctuations in product availability. Beef Osso Bucco is a prime example of this, roughly 6-8% of a beef carcass can be processed into Osso Bucco. We are overflowing with this product in the spring and summer and can never seem to get enough in the fall and winter.
SOME OF THE SUSTAINABLE ADVANTAGES OF WHOLE-ANIMAL BUTCHERY ARE:
Reduced Food Waste: Whole animal butchery minimizes food waste by utilizing nearly all parts of the animal. This approach reduces the amount of edible meat that goes unused, which is a significant issue in the food industry.
Environmental Impact: Whole animal butchery contributes to a lower carbon footprint and reduced environmental impact. By using the entire animal, there's less waste that needs to be disposed of, and it can also reduce the need for energy-intensive processes associated with food production and waste management.
Supporting Local Agriculture: We source our animals from local farms. This supports local agriculture, reduces the carbon footprint associated with long-distance transportation, and helps sustain rural communities.
Ethical Animal Farming: Whole animal butchery encourages ethical and humane animal farming practices. By purchasing whole animals directly from local farmers, we have more control over sourcing practices and can ensure that animals are raised with care and respect.
Diverse Product Offering: Whole animal butchery offers a wider variety of cuts and products, including less popular cuts that might otherwise go to waste. This diversification of products can cater to a broader customer base and reduce the demand for specific cuts associated with factory farming practices.
We would love to talk to you about delicious oyster/spider steaks or maybe the toro? Tongues, tails, cheeks, and ears need eager chefs and homes on your menu.
Transparency and Traceability: Our partners prioritize transparency in their sourcing and processing practices. This enables consumers to make more informed choices about the meat they purchase and consume.
Quality and Flavor: Whole animal butchery often focuses on the quality and flavor of the meat, prioritizing animal welfare and natural diets. This results in better-tasting, higher-quality meat products.
Reduction in Industrial Farming: Supporting whole animal butchery and local farms, helps contribute to a shift away from industrial-scale, factory farming practices that often have negative environmental and ethical consequences.
Preservation of Culinary Traditions: Whole animal butchery helps preserve traditional culinary practices and recipes that may be at risk of being lost in a mass-produced, homogenized food industry.